Historical buildings, countryside surroundings and a Harry Potter-like setting is what children can expect as they walk towards Stonyhurst Language School for their English course. It is the ideal place to improve their English language skills, as it provides various facilities to interact with other international pupils.
Our English courses in 2020 will be held as follows:
- Two weeks Friday 3rd July – Friday 17th July 2020
- Two weeks Friday 17th July – Friday 31st July 2020
- Three weeks Friday 3rd July – Friday 24th July 2020
- Four weeks Friday 3rd July – Friday 31st July 2020
The following is the core of what makes our programmes successful, year after year:
The English Classes
Lessons are held in small classes of 10 pupils on average; maximum of 12 per teacher, and when possible split into Young Juniors (10-13 years) and Juniors (14-16 years). Our teachers are very adaptable and will focus on the children’s needs during the lessons. To help facilitate this, we also ensure that students are correctly placed in one of our five ability levels: Elementary to Advanced. In these classes new grammar and vocabulary is taught, then practised in writing, speaking, listening and reading exercises. The material needed is provided by us.
Tuition is divided into 4 periods that are planned and taught by two or three teachers daily.
- 09:00-10:25: Introduction to new language – Grammar or Vocabulary that is suited to the level being taught.
- 10:45-11:50: Listening, reading and writing practise with a connection to the social programme and excursions.
- 11:50-12:55: Development of speaking skills through activities that are suited for the class level. These can vary from role-plays to interviews or debates in groups or pairs.
- 13:55-15:30: Project and task-based lessons that enable students to speak more freely and work towards real outcomes.
Throughout their stay with us, the progress that pupils make is monitored and assessed. We also have more information on the topics that are normally covered at different levels on our website.
We believe that a well-structured leisure programme can keep students engaged as it helps them develop and get to know each other better. It is for this reason that we offer a range of excursions, optional sporting activities and evening entertainment to all our participants. Apart from making this a learning experience, we also make the children’s safety a priority. We pride ourselves in having a low student to staff ratio (1:9 all through the day), ensuring that all students get the attention they need. It is also very important for us to enable students to speak English at all times, even during activities.
It is very common for parents to approach agents with lots of questions about all of the points mentioned above. In this article, we aim to give you a good idea of the structure we use, so we can then clarify any detail you feel is important to your audience. Get in touch with us on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 1254 827270 so we can send you all the information you need.